Our departure date from Budapest is basically final now. It looks like I will be leaving around April 30th so that I can be at work in Dallas on May 1st or 2nd. Phillip's departure date is a little more uncertain...he will either leave with me or go back about 2 weeks before me. Although we have known for a while now that we would be leaving at the beginning of May, the finalization of this has hit me really hard. When I arrived in Budapest, I could have never imagined it would be this hard for me to leave. I could have never imagined I would grow to love this city and this country so much. I could have never imagined I would love so many people here. And, I certainly could not have imagined what precious, precious friends I would make. All of these things are making the thought of moving home terribly hard for me.
At the same time, I am excited about the prospect of Phillip and me buying our first home in Dallas, and I am excited about starting our family. I am excited to be back in the same state as our family and our wonderful friends at home. I am excited to be home for special events, favorite foods, and mostly for the people we love.
Our friends Richie and Stefanie just moved to Budapest for two years, and we all went together to have a glass of wine last night. As we were riding in the tram down the side of the Danube River with the Chain Bridge and Castle Hill in sight, Richie said, "This view never gets old". Phillip and I both quickly agreed with him, and then both of us at once added, "but you will only grow to love it even more".
I am still not sure how it is possible to feel like you belong in two places that are an ocean apart. I am still not sure how I can love two places and feel so totally at home in two such totally different places, but I do.
With the last month that I have here, I plan to enjoy every minute. I plan to take every opportunity to spend time with Betti and Kinga and my other friends. I plan to savor every walk along the river. I will enjoy every wonderful Saturday morning I get to spend with Phillip here in our first home. And, I will remind myself that friends like I have made here are friends for a lifetime regardless of where we are, and that Budapest will always be only a flight away.
No comments:
Post a Comment