Welcome to our blog! It is hard to believe we have been living in Budapest for about 5 months now. We miss our family and our friends every single day, and a seven hour time difference doesn't make the situation any easier. Hopefully our blog will help us remember all of the experiences we are having while living abroad and will also allow us to share some of them with the people we love the most.







Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lake Bled, Slovenia

I have been wanting to post about our most recent roadtrip since we got back, but I am just now finding the time.  We have both been super busy. 

The first weekend in April we took a roadtrip with our friends, Wilson and Katie, to Bled, Slovenia which is home to Lake Bled.  We had a blast!  Slovenia is Hungary's neighbor country to the southwest.  We skipped out of work around lunch time on Friday, and we made the 5 hour trip to Bled.  It was definitely worth the drive!

Here is what it looked like when we arrived on Friday evening.  This picture is taken looking back at the strip of the lake where our hotel and a few stores and restaurants were located.


This was exactly the weekend that Phillip and I were needing.  It was such a break from everything in Budapest.  The wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, and all the big stars were so beautiful and peaceful.  I was reminded that I will ALWAYS be a small town girl at heart :)

We woke up on Saturday and enjoyed coffee on the balcony of our hotel room, and then we started our day.  The four of us rented bicycles for the day so that we could easily get all around the lake and the town.  We spent a few hours casually riding the 3.5 miles around the lake, and then we stopped for lunch at a restaurant complete with a patio that is right on the water.  Phillip and I both got our first sunburn of the season. 

Here are a few pictures of Lake Bled.  There is an island in the middle of the lake, which the cutest little church on it.



Here is the island up close.  In the first picture, you can see the 99 steps that lead from the bottom of the island to the church.  Tradtion has it that when a couple marries in this church, the groom must try to carry his bride up all 99 steps, and if he makes it, the marriage will be a success. 


You have a few options in order to get to the island.  You can take a ride on one of these cute little boats called "pletnas".


OR...you can have a husband who will row you to the middle of the island himself :)


We took the second option.  Phillip and Wilson rowed us to the island.  Judging by their faces, it was alot harder than it looked, but we made it!


After lunch, we continued our biking up to the castle that sits high on a cliff.  We thought it would be a great idea to ride up, however, Katie and I couldn't make it.  About half way up the hill, my legs felt like complete jello.  I was so relieved when Katie told me she just couldn't go any further.  The two of us girls parked our bikes and walked the rest of the way up the hill.  When we got to the top, our husbands were there waiting on us.  Both of them made it the whole way up!!  Here is a visual of how high (and gorgeous) it is.


These pictures capture the best view...when you can see the beautiful Julian Alps, the quaint island, and the impressive castle all at once.  Breathtaking.


Phillip and Wilson were trying to find some rocks that they could skip.


Both nights we enjoyed wonderful food and wonderful company.


On our way home on Sunday, we stopped in Ljubljiana, Slovenia (the capital) to see the sights and grab some lunch.  Ljubljiaba is such a cute town!  Not too much to do there...but that is the fun part.  We walked along the river, had lunch, and then hit the road.



It was a wonderful weekend with the Mathesons.  We can't wait for our next road trip!

2 comments:

  1. FINALLY AN UPDATE!! Looks absolutely amazing, and you look FANFREAKINTASTIC!!! I miss you so much and can't wait to skype you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sweet :) I miss you so much too!! I don't know if I can make it until this weekend for our Skype date!

    ReplyDelete