Welcome to our blog! It is hard to believe we have been living in Budapest for about 5 months now. We miss our family and our friends every single day, and a seven hour time difference doesn't make the situation any easier. Hopefully our blog will help us remember all of the experiences we are having while living abroad and will also allow us to share some of them with the people we love the most.







Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Hentes

What a day this has been!  We got off to a wonderful start this morning...our alarm didn't go off.  I actually should say our alarm(s) didn't go off.  We typically arrive at work everyday about 8am, but this morning, we woke-up at 8am.  I was still sound asleep when I heard Phillip shout, "Holly...it is 7:58".  We both jumped out of bed, and I did the quickest getting ready job that I possibly could.  I know most of you are laughing now, wondering how this happened to the person who checks her alarm 50 times every night.  I still can't explain it.  Phillip did forget to set the one on his side of the bed, but I am not sure what happened to mine.  I guess I will check it 51 times tonight :)

My other adventure of the day was my first lunch trip to the hentes (phonetically pronounced: han-tesh).  Hentes is the Hungarian word for "butcher".  The butcher across the street from my office also serves lunch, and my coworkers have been telling me for a while that I needed to eat at the hentes.  Basically, it is a standard butcher, but they also serve sausage for lunch.   Yep...right next to all the raw meat.  However, this is not exactly the sausage that we are used to eating.  Two of my friends at work were telling me that their favorites are the "hurka", which is blood sausage and the liver sausage.  They both kept trying to convince me that I needed to order one of these.  I know...doesn't sound good!  But, since I really want to try as many "Hungarian" things as I can while we are here, I made a deal with the girls that I would try one bite of the hurka (blood sausage) and one bite of the liver sausage as long as they let me order the standard version.  Here is a little video of Betti explaining our lunch adventure on camera :) 



And so that you can have a visual for what a hentes looks like, here a few more pictures from my adventure.  This first one is my plate with my regular sausage, the liver sausage (on the left) and the blood sausage (the really dark one).




Here are some of my coworkers enjoying their hurka.




Don't worry Emily...when you get here, I will definitely take you to eat hurka at the hentes!!

 

2 comments: