Welcome to our blog! It is hard to believe we have been living in Budapest for about 5 months now. We miss our family and our friends every single day, and a seven hour time difference doesn't make the situation any easier. Hopefully our blog will help us remember all of the experiences we are having while living abroad and will also allow us to share some of them with the people we love the most.







Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Trip to the Doctor

My poor husband is so sick!  Phillip started getting sick on Saturday, but we thought it was just allergies.  He woke-up on Sunday feeling bad, and we realized that it was worse than we thought.  His throat was fire engine red and he was having trouble breathing well, and it has continued to get worse.  Anyway, long story short, we decided he should go to the doctor today. 

Going to the doctor in a foreign country is a bit overwhelming, so we feel like we have reached another milestone of life abroad.  Luckily, our insurance here is really good, and Phillip was able to go to a private clinic where the doctors speak English.  I was sooooo nervous.  I think I was driving him crazy.  Phillip is allergic to penicillin, and I had this fear that they were going to give him some kind of shot that he shouldn't have.  I was just afraid that somehow him communicating his allergy to a doctor or nurse whose native language is Hungarian could go wrong.  So, what do I when I am not sure about how something works in Hungary??  I asked Betti.  I asked Betti how common it was to receive a shot when at the doctor in Hungary.  In hindsight, I realize that she does not have this answer...she is not a doctor...nor does she maintain statistics on how common shots are in Hungary...but it sure did make me feel better when she told me that it is not very common at all.  I then proceeded to ask her how to say "penicillin" in Hungarian because I had this plan that if it was extremely different I would call Phillip back and tell him how to say it in Hungarian.  Turns out that penicillin is penicillian in English or Hungarian.  Good thing I didn't have to call Phillip back about that...he might have hung up on me...it would have been approximately my 5th call of the day to check on his doctor scenario. 

Phillip's appointment was at 5pm and much to my delight, he called at 5:30 and he was fine!!  Turns out all my worrying was for nothing.  The doctor spoke perfect Engligh, no one tried to give him a shot of penicillin, and he left with two prescriptions.  He said the whole thing was rather uneventful and was really easy.  Oh, and by the way, the prescriptions cost $5 each.  Nice.

Since he was feeling so badly, I decided I would try to make him potato soup for dinner.  Let's just say that I need to try that one again.  Maybe next time with a recipe.  I tried to do it the way my mom does it (which of course has no recipe because nothing she cooks has a recipe), and it did not taste at all like my mom's.  Hopefully it is the thought that counts!

Phillip will be fine soon...if I can just get him to rest and relax!!  I am so thankful that we had a trial run to the doctor when there was no emergency or anything severe.  Next time I will know there is no need to worry!

4 comments:

  1. I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to spend time reading anything but work and school materials. I LOVE getting caught up with your blog. It's almost as good as a SKYPE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you got to catch up on the blog! I am also glad that you are about to have a break from work and school. You can start reading about our summer vacation destinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does it say Phillip is posting these comments?? I don't think he would like his name associated with sentences that are punctuated by smiley faces :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark doesn't need to see that!

    ReplyDelete